Thursday, October 22, 2009

Before Pipe Bands.......Marching Band


Before I was a piper or played in Pipe Bands, I was in Marching Band!!! In college I played the Tenor Saxophone and marched in the UMass Minuteman Marching Band.

This past weekend was Homecoming and the University held a ground breaking ceremony for the new band building . It was quite moving to consider that George Parks has been the director for 33 years and taught over 4000 students. Just like anyone who has been a member of the "Power and Class of New England" I can say that my experiences in the band taught me incredible life lessons--about working on a team and doing your best so that the entire presentation was excellent. George told us we were the best band in New England (or anywhere) and we believed it and we worked hard to make sure we were (Aggaainnnn). We made lifelong friends, served in leadership positions in the band (which is entirely student run) or some days, just made it practice on time (to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late.....).

Through it all George Parks demanded excellence and never apologized for his expectations. He has the BIGGEST vision of what the band could be and should be. As the Director of a Pipe Band, I often use his lines, remember his words of wisdom (Eyes--With Pride) and am thankful that I had those experiences in college. I hope that I can do the same for the Scotia-Glenville Pipe Band.

No comments:

Post a Comment